Sweden Here I Come!

Sweden Here I Come!

Monday, April 7, 2014

Taking the Good with the Bad in Karlskrona!

Aaahhhh!  My favorite day of the week (did I really just say that about MONDAY?)!  I knew I would be really tired this morning because of a long and busy weekend, so I purposely left the laptap in the family room last night so I would have to get out of bed to read Aldste Milne's email this morning!  Thank goodness I did, because as predicted, it was worse than pulling teeth trying to wake up this morning when the alarm went off.  My plan worked and I bolted out of bed to retrieve the laptop!  I was so excited to hear about Dallin's week along with reading the answers to the questions we sent him! 

Here is Blaine's letter this week:
 

Hi Dallin,

Well, Another week has gone by. Not much has changed here in the Washington Fields. The region baseball season is 1/2 over and we have big challenges ahead to qualify for the state playoffs. This week and next week will define our season at the varsity level. The JV team is doing well. I have had the help of several varsity players that play both games that have really helped. This week some of those kids will not play both games so we'll see how the JV team does. Hopefully the varsity can get a win or two over the next two weeks.

Anyway, dentistry for me is the same. Trying to make a living and continue serving people.
Your mom is doing well with the things she is involved with. We'll have to see how that all works out. Your brother's are doing well at what they do. They are still very good young men who set a good example for their friends and peers.

I hope everything for you is going OK at your new location. I hope you can get the energy to continue with the Lord's work there in Sweden. Hopefully, you won't be picking up any new sports there like women's tennis.

Love,

Daddy Milne
 
Here's Natalie's letter this week:
 
The Prophet Joseph Smith taught, "Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God."
 
Dear Aldste Milne,

I pray this week's email finds you HAPPY and well. I pray for your well-being and happiness daily. Our Heavenly Father would that all His Children be happy and well. Obedience and gratitude are the keys to happiness in this life, and eternal life in the world to come. As I was driving to Salt Lake City on Saturday I was reminded of an experience I had many years ago. Dad and I were driving to SLC very early one morning to catch a plane to Kentucky for his dental school interview. You were only about 10 months old and we had never been away from you overnight. Your sweet Aunt Glenda offered to take you for a few days so we could fly to Louisville and enjoy some time together. I was driving and your dad was sleeping. My mind was filled with thoughts of our future and what it would look like. I had a great desire to continue my education along with your dad and I was considering law school. The University of Louisville had a reputable night law school program and I naively thought that would be ideal. I could care for you in the day and dad could take care of you in the evenings. I pondered this possibility as I drove and before I knew it I was praying to Heavenly Father for guidance in this matter. I was torn between attending school and being a full-time mother. Could I possibly do both without sacrificing your full happiness and well-being. I asked Heavenly Father for help in understanding His will in this matter. I then prayed for you at Aunt Glenda's, that you would be happy, safe, and a good boy for her. I prayed that we would return home safely to you and that all would be well. I expressed my love and gratitude for you. As I closed my prayer the voice of the Lord came very clearly and powerfully into my heart and mind. He said, "Natalie, I love Dallin very much. Please keep him safe, and please make sure he returns home to me." I was sobbing at this point. First of all, for the very first time I realized that our Heavenly Father loved you even more than I did, and that you were basically on loan to me, and it was my job as your mother to make sure that you did make it safely back home to Him. It was then that I felt the full weight of my responsibility, and it was then that I determined that there was nothing in this entire world that was more important to me than you. I was humbled to say the least. I have been blessed to have the opportunity to stay at home and raise my three precious sons. Well Dal, I have gotten you to this point. But a mother's work is never done! Keep up the great work!

This weekend I had the amazing opportunity to go to General Conference. Brother Rod Allen was nice enough to get two tickets for me from his newly called Bishop son for the Sunday morning session. I had introduced him to Tatiana, the foreign exchange student that is living with the Millward's, and we both thought it would be awesome if we could get her to General Conference. She attends my Laurel's class every week and has gained a beautiful testimony of the restored gospel and of the love our Savior and Heavenly Father have for her. She is not a member, and is unable to be baptized until she is 18 which will be in December. However, she is from Kyrgyzstan, and missionaries are not allowed in there yet. She could go 6 hours to Kazakhstan. The church is established there. We connected with a sister missionary at temple square who is from Kazakhstan and will return there this month. Tatiana goes back home the end of May. Hopefully this missionary will follow through with her. I am also trying to find other options for her, which also includes returning to the US for college. We will see what happens. Anyhow, all of conference was amazing. How was watching it in Swedish? I am so excited to hear about your experience.

Here are the promised questions for you to answer: These first ones are from your awesome Aunt Kim. What kind of car/truck is that; that you were leaning on? How come if the food is so good, you are not putting on weight? How did you get the name Dilly-Dall? What's the weather like, it doesn't look too cold right now? It looks beautiful. What have you learned to cook while you have been on your mission? What is one thing that really bothers you about your companion? What is one thing you really love about your companion? What is one thing that you really miss about not being home? What is one thing that you think about everyday that keeps you positive or pressing forward? I love you Dallin. I think YOU ARE HANDSOME. Love, Aunt Kim.

Here are my questions: What is your favorite Swedish dish? What is the biggest cultural difference you have noticed between Swedes and Americans? How many missionaries are in Karlskrona? What is the biggest lesson you have learned so far? What is your favorite part about being a missionary? What is the hardest part about being a missionary? What gospel principle is your favorite to teach? Which one is the most difficult? What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you so far as a missionary? What is the most amazing thing that has happened to you so far? Lastly, who do you miss the most back home? (That is totally a loaded question, and you had better know what the correct answer is!)

Can't wait for the answers! This week Dr. White and I are starting our interviews for the book. We have two in St. George, two in Cedar City, and we will be skyping with others. One is from Alabama and the other from Arizona. Our hope is to get at least 20 altogether. The goal is to get optimal saturation, and that is determined by when the interviews begin sounding the same and we are no longer getting new information. It may be more than 20 and it may be less. Anyhow, totally excited! Once we complete the interviews the final writing will take place. The goal is to have it completed by this Fall.

Anyhow, have a wonderful week! I love and miss you! Take care of yourself and stay happy and safe.

Love you so much!

Mom

PS. I will post some pictures on the blog of conference and baseball!
 
Here is Aldste Milne's email this week:
 
Sup Fam

This was probably the most up and down week of my mission. It started off really great. We got a baptismal date with an investigator on Tuesday. We had a really powerful gospel of Jesus Christ lesson with her and she even said that she had already been thinking about baptism before we even brought it up. She likes reading the BoM and already knows a few people in the church from her childhood. Things feel really good with her. She is a Swede. So that was awesome but then after Tuesday things went downhill fast haha. We were working probably the hardest I have ever worked on my mission but nothing was going our way. We were getting rejected like crazy, people were cussing us out (which was hilarious), and a lot of our appointments fell through. I had never been so discouraged. But we got through it and conference was super good. We were able to watch it in English and then in Swedish when some investigators came. I was really surprised by how much I was able to understand. It was a nice re-charge for me. But man it was a tough week to get through. Anyways, that is super cool that you got to go to conference! Rod Allen is the man. And wonderful that you were able to bring Tatiana, thats awesome hopefully things work out with her. Thats exciting about your interviews as well, when do you think the whole book will be done? Anyways, its good to here from everyone and that you are all doing well. Tell Ty good luck in his finals and to not worry about key boarding, thats a dumb class anyways haha. Awesome questions by the way, makes it a lot easier for me haha!

What kind of car/truck is that; that you were leaning on?
- I have no idea, we were trying to figure it out. It was like a smart car pick up edition ha.

How come if the food is so good, you are not putting on weight?
- ha believe it or not I've put on 13 pounds since I've left the MTC. I'm even starting to get kind of a gut, the six pack isn't showing like it used to so I've been going hard with the crunches this last week haha
How you get the name Dilly-Dall?
- Ask my old man because I don't have a clue
What's the weather like, it doesn't look too cold right now? It looks beautiful.
- The weather is so nice right now, Karlskrona apparently gets the most sun out of all of Sweden or something like that, the wind has been pretty chilly though. But Karlskrona is supposed to be the most beautiful place during the summer so I'm excited for that if I get to stay here that long.
What have you learned to cook while you have been on your mission?
- My favorite thing to make is chicken and rice. Swedish meatballs are really good too and they are pretty easy to do. Cereal, eggs, chicken, meatballs, rice, mashed potatoes, apples, and kebab pizza pretty much sums up my whole missionary diet. Tell Aunt Kim that she needs to look into kebab pizza for the Pizza Factory as well, its dang good.
What is one thing that really bothers you about your companion?
- that is surprisingly tough for me to answer, Äldste Nieminen is a crazy finn. We think a like and we both have the same sense of humor, he reminds me a lot of Carter now that I think about it. I'm not really sure what bothers me about him besides the fact that he doesn't like when I sing country music in the apartment.
What is one thing you really love about your companion?
- refer to the above answer ^^
What is one thing that you really miss about not being home?
- besides the obvious family, friends and stuff like that, I really miss dollar menus. Stuff is really expensive here in Sweden.
What is one thing that you think about everyday that keeps you positive or pressing forward?
- its really tough serving here in Sweden. Some days its hard for me to not just be like "whats the point?" and give up. That's a tough question to answer, for me its mostly that I don't want to finish with any regrets and knowing that I could have done a better job because its just 2 years and then its over, you don't get it back. So I guess for me I pressing forward because I want to have a good conscience about everything when I'm done.
I love you Dallin. I think YOU ARE HANDSOME. Love, Aunt Kim.
- Aunt Kim you are the best, love ya!
 
Answers to mom's questions:
What is your favorite Swedish dish?
- It's not really a swedish dish but I LOVE kebab pizza. Kebab is some sort of mixture of meat from the middle east. I'll attach a picture of a plate.
What is the biggest cultural difference you have noticed between Swedes and Americans?
- Swedes are a lot more reserved, its hard to describe. They try to copy America a lot in everything though, which is pretty funny.
How many missionaries are in Karlskrona?
- 4. 2 Elders and 2 Sisters
What is the biggest lesson you have learned so far?
- Now that's a tough one. A couple big ones have been that its really all about your attitude. We can determine our own circumstances. I've learned to be more humble. We can't do anything ourselves and if we try it just doesn't work. And I've learned to appreciate everything a lot more, especially how nice we have it back home.
What is your favorite part about being a missionary?
- Preaching the good word
What is the hardest part about being a missionary?
- When people don't want to hear the good word haha
What gospel principle is your favorite to teach?
- The gospel of Jesus Christ easily, its always so powerful and I love the scriptures that go with it
Which one is the most difficult?
- Probably the back end of the Plan of Salvation, just because the Swedish vocabulary that goes with it is pretty difficult.
What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you so far as a missionary?
- haha oh goodness, there have been too many to count. I have had quite a few instances where I'll spill stuff on my white shirt and have to walk around all day looking like an idiot, or I'll mix up some Swedish words and say something completely off during a lesson or contact.
What is the most amazing thing that has happened to you so far?
- tough... looking back and seeing how much I have changed and learned is really cool, the baptisms of course were really great, there have been a lot of good things.
Lastly, who do you miss the most back home? (that is a totally loaded question, and you had better know what the correct answer is!)
- Don't worry Mom, I miss you the most haha

Love you all have a good week!

Äldste Milne
 
 
Breathtaking view of Karlskrona

 
Me and the Finn Hiking on P-day
 
 
Kebab Pizza... My Favorite Food Here!
 
 
Salt Lake Temple!  Picture taken from the Garden Cafe in the Joseph Smith Building.
Tatiana and I ate there with Aunt Shelly and Uncle Tyler.

 
Tatiana and Me at General Conference
 
 
From the back Carter looks and walks a lot like dad!

 
Dad reliving his glory days at PVHS...  This time as a coach!

 
Carter Bringing the Heat!
(Thanks Aunt Kim for the Pictures!)
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment