Sweden Here I Come!

Sweden Here I Come!

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Goodbye to Karlskrona!

My heart smiles when I think about Mondays. I believe that worldwide there must be a surge in the positive energy field due to the much anticipated letters sent from the 80,000 + missionaries. As I have said before every Monday morning is like Christmas!  This Monday was just a little bit different in that it started with a bit of trepidation right at about 12:15 am. Being summer the Milne family has adopted a schedule of staying up pretty late. We actually had family home evening around 10:30 pm on Sunday which involved Blaine sharing his thoughts on the latest Bible video the church just put out on the Life of Jesus Christ (excellent video by the way).  We then enjoyed one of Blaine's childhood favorite desserts: hot vanilla pudding topped off with cold vanilla ice cream. The boys were hesitant at first but it must have been a hit because the bowls were licked clean and Ty was asking for it all day yesterday. When Blaine called us in for FHE I was right in the middle of emailing Dallin. I heeded his call with the intent of returning right after and finishing it up. After our spirit-filled lesson which somehow ended in a somewhat playful disagreement on whether or not our Savior Jesus Christ ever married in this life or even the next I came back to my email and finished it. When I tried to send it, a little message popped-up saying that the email could not be sent at this time. I retried it - no luck! I waited and tried again- ugh! I went to all the computers in our house (3) and could not even access MSN. I then thought I had better at least send Dallin something so I tried my cell phone. Every website worked except for MSN and Hotmail. Dejected I went to bed and prayed that somehow my laptop had saved my letter. In trying to get the internet to work I had somehow closed out of the page my email was on. I was pretty sure it wasn't saved though.

Well to end this saga, I woke up the next morning and sure enough there was a letter from Dallin. Thankfully Blaine's letter had gone through so Dallin responded to that. I could see that he had sent it just recently so I sent him a quick note of explanation and tried to pull up my draft from the night before. I was half lucky. Hotmail had saved my draft to the point in the email where I went in for FHE. At least I didn't have to start from scratch. All ended okay because it allowed Dallin and me to chat back and forth for a few minutes via email.

As you probably noticed from the title, Aldste Milne is being transferred. He will be going to a city called Vasteras. It is supposedly one of the oldest cities in Sweden and Northern Europe. I looked at some pictures on Wikipedia and it is beautiful. Change is always bitter-sweet for a missionary. Dallin has loved Karlskrona but he also realizes there is work to be done elsewhere. I know he has made many friends in Karlskrona and  he will be missed.

Here are this week's letters:

Letter from Blaine:

Hi Elder Milne,

How are the dog day's of your mission going?  The dog day's of a baseball season are in late July and August.  It is when the work kind of begins to get mundane and burnout can occur.  I was just thinking you might be feeling the same way so I would use this baseball cliché with you today.  To get through the dog day's I think a challenge or goal needs to be made in order to reset the energy needed to be successful.

For me the dog day's of my job has occurred.  My back has been unhealthy and has caused me to miss about a week and half of work.  I think the added labor of coaching baseball and working in dentistry has pushed my back over the edge.  I have taken off from the legion team for a week and my back has been feeling better.  I was able to return to work last week for 3 days  and will try and put in 4 days this week around the 24th of July holiday on Thursday. 

The Legion team will be playing in the state tournament beginning next weekend and Carter is looking forward to that.  Carter's birthday is on the 31st of July and that is during the tournament.  Hopefully he will get a start and maybe it will be on his birthday. 

Carter has plans to get his patriarchal blessing soon.  Carter is now preparing for his senior year in High school.  He is now deciding to put in a year of college before his mission.  He said he wants to be a freshman in college and hit up future daughters in law.  I told him that sounds exciting. 

On a more correct note.  Hope all is going well.  I hope you are staying out of trouble and obeying all mission rules.  That is from A to Z.

Take care and Godspeed Breh.....

Love,

Padre Milne

#CircleSwedenforLife
#bestmissionarythisside
#swingit
#backcut
#thrustinyoursickle


Letter From Me:

“Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees” (D&C 81:5).

Whenever our challenges seem overwhelming or our situation seems hopeless, we can find spiritual renewal in service to others. Service provides an opportunity to look beyond our personal difficulties or challenges. We can’t serve everyone, and we should be careful not to run faster than we have strength (see 
Mosiah 4:27). However, even the simplest acts can bless and encourage others—and lift our own spirits. Elder M. Russell Ballard taught that the Spirit can be our guide in such efforts: “In all of our service, we need to be sensitive to the promptings of the Holy Ghost. The still, small voice will let us know who needs our help and what we can do to help them” (“Finding Joy through Loving Service,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2011, 48). Helping others is one way we show our love and appreciation to our Heavenly Father and the Savior. We know that “when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God” (Mosiah 2:17).

Dear Aldste Milne,

How is my favorite missionary today? I pray you are happy and well, and that you know how much I love you. I am so proud of you Dallin. You are a remarkable young man. I know you are making a difference in the lives of many and most likely in ways that you don't even realize. I so appreciate your example and the goodness of your heart. In doing research for the book this week I came across these scriptures and quotes and they reminded me of you. Dallin, do all that you can to lift up the hands that hang down, and I promise you that by so doing your own spirit will be lifted and your burdens made light. Strive each day to have the Spirit with you to guide and direct your efforts. Therefore your efforts are never in vain and the Lord will honor them. Even if at times you question whether the promptings you have are from the Spirit or not - act on them. The Lord knows the desires of your heart and He will always bless and honor your righteous desires. Give service and love to all those you meet and the Spirit will touch their hearts. Remember, the success of a missionary is never measured by how many baptisms he or she had but it is measured by the efforts he made each day and the resultant strength of his testimony. As you diligently and prayerfully strive to serve the people of Sweden you will be laying a foundation of love and service that will continue to bless you and your posterity for generations to come.

How did things go this week? Any word on transfers? I'm sure it will be difficult for you to leave this area. I know that you have met many wonderful friends and ward members. You will be missed I'm sure. But you are right - the Lord does know what is best. You can take comfort in knowing that your part of the harvest in Karlskrona was to prepare the hearts and minds of the people for those who would follow. (This is where the msn/Hotmail went down) I can't believe the computer at least saved this! So once I saw that it was saved I saved it again and read your letter!
 
I am so happy that you are excited to go to Vasteras. Is Elder Brown the missionary from Texas? About half way through my mission I was put with someone that had been out the same amount of time and it was awesome. My very favorite companion. We really gelled, but unfortunately we were only together for three months. It was so refreshing though.
 
This week was pretty normal for us - a lot of baseball and a lot of writing. I am still very busy with my young women's as well. Carter and Ty are awesome kids. They both have been such a great help to me. Carter had his interview for his patriarchal blessing so will be getting that soon. He has also decided to do a semester of school before he goes on his mission. He wants to be able to spend some time with you. He will be attending SUU. He will qualify for the regent's scholarship and should be able to get a full tuition scholarship there as well. Ty will be heading to the Pine View Middle School this year. It will be a good transition for him. He is such a good boy with a very sweet and tender spirit. I hope he never loses that. He will not be playing football this fall but will play baseball and basketball this fall instead. His Rebels team is going to Steam Boat Springs in two weeks, so instead of going to Laguna Beach this year we have opted to go to Steam Boat to support Ty. It will be fun! Do you remember going there with your Orem team? We had a blast! We will visit the Lewis family and Tyson's family on the way out there.
 
Anyhow Dal, there isn't much else going on. I will attach some pictures of dad and Carter with the Legion team. They are the St. George Sentinels. Keep up the great work. Good luck with your transfer. We will pray for you everyday! I went to the temple on Saturday and enjoyed seeing the third new film. It is amazing how different each new film is even though they are all the same script. I always put your name in the temple. I figure the more prayers the better! Take care of yourself Big "D". I love you so much! Keep your chin up!
 
Much Love,
 
Mom
 
#onwardandupward #searchponderandpray #eternalperspective #favoritemissionary #steadfastandimmovable
 
I will send the pictures soon, I have to fix dad breakfast!
 
Aldste Milne's Letter:
 
Hello Milne Family:

 
Well it is official, the call came in and I will be taking my talents (Lebron reference) to Västerås, Sweden where I will be companions with Elder Brown, a good friend of mine from the MTC.  Speaking of Lebron I heard that he will be heading back to Cleveland to try to get a job down for his home state, that'll be exciting to watch next season!   

 
Anyways, I like the dog days reference.  It has been pretty tough these last 4 months, getting shut out in Karlskrona.  A big goose egg.  We came very close multiple times but no cigar.  I guess that's how it goes sometimes.  But I do feel good about what I was able to do here.  There are a couple of people that we have been teaching that I know will get baptized in the future for sure, it just wasn't the right timing I guess right now.  The Lord knows what needs to happen and I am sure that things will work out for my friends here when the time is right.  

 
Sorry to hear about the back problems pops, but that's good that you were able to rest and start putting some days in.  Speaking of dentistry, I've been doing a lot of thinking about if that is something that I am interested in and I've even looked up a few videos in my free time of bone graphs and implant surgeries.  Very interesting.  I'm pretty set on the medical field and I've got plenty of time to think about what exactly I want to do but it's been fun to think about the future that way.  Now of course I am still focused on the present and what I need to do now and I like the idea of making a personal challenge or setting a goal to payton manning "reset!" like we used to say haha.  I am excited to go work with Brown, it'll be cool to be on the same level as far as experience goes, I was kind of getting tired of being the younger kid all the time.

 
That'll be exciting to hear about the state tourney coming up.  I am happy to hear that Carter will wait a little before he leaves also.  I was worried that he would leave before I would get home, but it'll be weird to have us both be freshman in college at the same time haha. 
 
 
Anyways, I'm still blessed with good health and all that.  I'm staying positive and I'm looking forward to new adventures in Västerås.  I forgot the phone chord so no pictures today but I'll be sure to send them tomorrow.  Hope your back continues to improve and that Mom's health is getting better as well.  Say hi to the boys for me.

With Love,
Elder Milne

Love the hashtags especially swing it haha

#sharpeningthesickle
#stillworkingonthelefthand 
 
He also sent:
 
Just to reply real quick, Brown isn't the elder from Texas, but he will also be close by so I'll be able to see him quite a bit as well.  That's really exciting to hear about Carter's preparation for his blessing and about SUU.  I'm so happy that I'll be able to spend time with him before he leaves!  Steam Boat Springs sure will be a lot of fun for Ty, wow it was so long ago when I went.  Time is crazy!
 
Pictures of the week:
 
 
Only a pitcher can lift his legs like that!
 
 
 
Nice follow through

 
The Brain Trust - Coach Johanson is from Sweden!

 
Carter Bringing It!
 
 
Saying Goodbye!
 
 
 
 
 
Skate Boarding down a tree... Hmmm, I'm questioning my son's intelligence right now!
 
 
More Goodbye's.....
 
 
This one is for Carter.... "Save a horse, you know the rest"
 
 
Farewell my Friends!
 
 
I know I am his mother, but I  think Dallin is so Handsome!

2 comments:

  1. Sooo handsome and I his aunt. You all just make me smile with your personalities. Blaines always disciplining and Natalie's always preaching. No wonder you have such good boys. Love your blog. Thank you for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Milne family! This is Elder Brown's mom! We live in Mesa AZ - my hubby found your blog when searching for the Mission blog that we just heard about! We are glad to hear that Elders Milne & Brown will be together, and know each other from the MTC! We hope they will work wonders together!

    DId you know there is a Swedish Missionary Momma's page on FB? It is fun to get to know many of the other Swedish Mish Moms!

    Amy Brown

    Amy Brown

    ReplyDelete