Sweden Here I Come!

Sweden Here I Come!

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

He's Getting a Greenie!

I continue to be amazed at how quickly the weeks fly by. I started back to school up at SUU this week and I am struggling to keep my head above water, but I love it. I am exhausted today though. I didn't get home until about 6:00 pm. I fixed dinner, did some laundry, and fell asleep on the floor for a few minutes after folding some clothes. Blaine and I have been up since 5:00 am. He had to be to work early today and I got up to fix him a good breakfast. He is so busy at work. He worked 13 hours today. He doesn't know when to quit. Such a good husband and father, not to mention a great dentist. His patients love him!

Dallin sounds really good this week. He is so excited because he will be getting a missionary fresh out of the MTC to train next week. I know he will do a great job. He seems to have a good handle on the language and is confident in his abilities. Keep up the great work Dal! You are amazing!



Letter From Me:

"You and I as disciples of the Lord bear a solemn responsibility to proclaim the will of God to all people.... Gone are the days of being a quiet and comfortable Christian. Your religion is not just about showing up for church on Sunday, it is about showing up as a true disciple from Sunday morning through Saturday night - 24/7. There is no such thing as a part-time disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ." - Elder Russell M. Nelson

Dear Dallin,

I love you and I smile every time I think about you. You are awesome! I pray this week's email finds you happy and well in Vasteras.  I saw this quote by Elder Nelson in this week's Church News. He spoke at BYU's commencement exercises and this was his topic. It reminded me of you and the opportunity you are having in Sweden to be a true disciple 24/7.  He goes on to talk about the importance of taking the opportunity to stand up for the truth regarding the sacred nature of marriage. We need to become defenders of marriage and the divine partnership that it is. The future of marriage and of countless human lives will be determined by the willingness of believers to bear solemn witness of the Lord and live according to the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know you have had many opportunities to do this even before your mission. Treasure the testimony that you have in regards to the divine partnership of marriage between a man and woman. Do all that you can to convey this testimony to the people of Sweden who seem to have become quite causal in their regard toward marriage. This of course is the work of Satan. He knows even better than we do that it is within marriages and families that we as God's children are able to realize our full potential. It is within the confines of these relationships that we develop true charity (the capacity to love as the Savior loves). This is the way the Lord designed it. These relationships are what enable us to experience true joy, not only in this life, but in the world to come.

I sent you a package this week. It will hopefully get to you soon. I was delayed a couple of days sending it due to some complications with our insurance and the pharmacy. I finally got everything worked out and it saved me a few hundred dollars so I hope you get it. I sent a topical antibiotic, another ointment from the dermatologist, and some face soap and moisturizer. I hope it helps. As you will see the doctor gave you a few refills, so if you like it, as it gets close to being used up, send me an email and I can get refills on them and get them in the mail.

This week flew by. It was a great week. I went to the temple Tuesday night with my Laurels class and we did baptisms. It was amazing. As I sat gazing at the font, I was reminded of your great, great, great grandfather, George Jarvis, who was the man in charge of insuring the proper placement of that very large and heavy font. He also was the master mind behind the placement of the exterior walls of the temple among other responsibilities tied to its being built. You have a great heritage Dallin. Draw upon their strength, courage, and example. Also remember that they are there to offer you help from the other side of the veil as well. "And wo unto all those who come not unto this priesthood which ye have received, which I now confirm upon you who are present this day, by mine own voice out of the heavens; and even I have given the heavenly hosts and mine angels charge concerning you." (D&C 84:42)

I also went to the temple on Thursday to do an endowment session. As I approached the entrance of the temple there stood Brother Paul Broadbent from Minnetonka, MN. He was so surprised to see me. It couldn't have been time more perfectly because just then his wife and three of his daughters joined us. They were all there meeting to do baptisms. They are visiting Paul's parents here in St. George and then heading up to pick up Elijah from the SLC airport who is returning from his mission to Los Angeles, Spanish Speaking. Elijah will then head to Provo to prepare to start at BYU with his sister Eliza. I love the Broadbents. So many happy memories with them. I also joined Paul and Mary Saturday morning to do a 6:00 am endowment session. It was awesome to be there with Mary. I was here visiting teacher the entire time we lived in Minnetonka. They send their love to you!

Saturday night Dad, Carter, and I went up to Zion's and attended an outdoor concert and ate dinner at the Spotted Dog restaurant. The food was great and the entertainment even better. Two of my young women were performing along with some other local youth. But the main attraction was a PVHS graduate who has made a name for him self performing in a few Broadway productions and other opera venues. His name is Brody Perry. Carter is going to start taking voice lessons from him. It was a beautiful evening under the stars.

The boys finished another week of school and my school starts back up tomorrow. I only have 11 credits so it won't be too bad, but I need to start preparing  for the GRE that I will take the first part of November. My application to BYU and other schools is Due on December 1st. I had dad give me a back to school blessing tonight. It was beautiful and very reassuring. He gave your brothers blessings last week. I just love those moments. We are so blessed to have the priesthood in our home. Our home teachers also came tonight - Bishop Jones and his partner Blake Ence. Blake was really sweet when he gave a prayer just before they left. He blessed you specifically and ask for your safety and that the hearts of the people would be opened to the message that you share.  Dad also had the opportunity to give one of his friends and a fellow dentist a blessing this evening. It was a great Sunday.

Dallin, I know you are mindful that the  Lord's work is hastening, so remember that along with this, Satan's efforts will be doubled. His work is hastening as well. We must stand strong and firm in our beliefs. It is imperative that we strive each day to have the Spirit of the Lord to guide and direct us. The world is quickly ripening in iniquity. We can see it all around us, but be assured that the Lord will be with His saints. He loves you and He wants you to succeed. I challenge you to each day look for the hand of the Lord in your life and in your labors, and then record it in your journal. As you look back on your entries you will be amazed at the love the Lord has for you, and the countless tender mercies He extends on your behalf. Allow yourself to feel His love each day and in turn share it with those around you. I promise by so doing you will be happy beyond belief!

Keep up the great work Dallin!  I can't wait to hear how things are going. Stay safe and take care of yourself. Let me know if there is anything else you need!

Much Love,

Mom



Letter From Dallin:


Dear Family,


Well I am still kicking.  August sure has flown by quickly.  We had a pretty solid week.  On Wednesday we trained over in Stockholm for the mission tour with Elder Teixeira.  It was like a combined zone conference with the five most northern zones in Sweden, so there was a lot of missionaries.  It was cool because I got to see Elder Hitch who was my companion in Umeå and Elder Packer, a companion in Karlskrona.  Elder Hitch is actually getting ready to go home here in a couple days so he was really excited about that when I saw him haha.  It was also a beautiful day there in Stockholm so we were able to get some good-looking pictures of the temple also.  It sure has a unique look but I really like it.  Elder Teixeira did a great job training us and he showed us some really innovative ways to handle baptismal commitments and other things that I am really looking forward to applying in the work.  He also said that we would be getting I-pads sometime soon so that made everyone excited as well.  

 
That's good that you have been hitting up the temple often, and that is so funny that you ran into the Broadbents!  Wow, Minnesota feels like a completely different lifetime.  Daniel, one of my converts up in Umeå, went to the temple for the first time last week with Elder Hitch to do baptisms.  He said that he had an awesome experience and took some family names with him.  That sure did make me feel good.  Like at least I panned out to something, as dad would say haha.  He also showed Hitch and his companion around some Swedish castles there in Stockholm and sent me some really cool pictures that I will forward to you.

 
Oh and on Saturday I got a call with some of the best news that I have heard in awhile... I AM GOING TO TRAIN!!  I had told President before a few times that I would really love to train soon but I didn't expect it to come so soon.  I am so pumped.  A fresh guy right out of the MTC, most likely fresh out of high school as well, who doesn't want to do anything but work, sounds awesome to me.  It is all about that "greenie power".  I am excited for the extra responsibility that I'll have because I know that it'll help me grow so much.  So yeah, the kid comes in September 3rd out of Provo so me and big boy Brown will have one last week together.  This transfer has gone by so fast it seems like.  So I'll continue my streak of 6 week companionships with Browns transfer and then train for 12 weeks with the new kid here in Västerås.  


I also had the opportunity to speak in church on Sunday on blessings that come through obedience.  It was a super good topic for me to study throughout the week in preparation and I was really proud of the way it turned out.  Usually when I give talks in Swedish I forget to say certain things that I wanted to and it never seems to turn out quite the way that I want but this time it actually went better than I anticipated.  Being better in the language sure does help, it was so much more comfortable than times when I spoke earlier in the mission.  

 
Anyways I have to wrap this up pretty quick because our family home evening activity that we run every Monday is about to start up.  But I'll make up for the short message by sending a lot of pictures because a picture is worth a thousand words anyways right?  Just know that I know the gospel is true and that I am doing well, the weather is starting to cool down too so I am one happy and not sweaty camper.

Thanks for the updates on everything, tell Carter to get with the singing, he'll really get the ladies excited when he starts singing and playing the piano at the same time. And tell Ty to eat his green veggies so he can pass up me and carter on the height chart haha I love and miss you all!
 

Med Kärlek
Äldste Milne
 
 
 
Stockholm, Sweden Temple

 
Daniel and Elder Hitch

 
Me and Hitch

 
Me and Packer

 
Stockholm!


A Tomb of a King


 
A Church



 
Vasteras
 

 
Me and a lucky rainbow!

 
P-day!
 


2067 - Me and Hitch before he heads home to Washington
2074 - Saw Elder Packer as well at the conference, what a guy
2079 - Beautiful picture of the temple here in Stockholm

1 comment:

  1. I am smiling after reading Dallin's "Well, I'm still kicking." I had to look back to see whose letter it was. That's something Blaine and Glen Milne would say. I guess the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree.

    Natalie, YOU are the best wife and mother. I can't believe you get up and fix Blaine breakfast. Becky Tebbs came into Pizza Factory yesterday and said she had another class with you. I was impressed that you are back to school. I'm glad that you are feeling better.

    Dallin looks and sounds great; so proud of him that he knows the gospel and the language. He is such a good boy and sooooo handsome.

    Carter, I am thrilled that you are going to take singing lessons, you know that's when I feel in love with Bill Kringlen. When I heard him sing, I got cold chills all over. Ty, eat those green vegetables, they make you big and strong.

    I smiled when you said what a great dentist Blaine is. He really is and I am so proud of him.

    I love the look of your blog Natalie. I like the new picture with Dallin holding the flag. You are getting to be a professional. Love to all. Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete