Sweden Here I Come!

Sweden Here I Come!

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Good-bye to Elder Olsen, Welcome Elder Christensen

Here I am waiting to post on another Saturday.  I have two excuses this week: 1) We are in the process of moving so I have been packing and cleaning all week. 2)  I wanted to wait until today so I could post pictures of Carter's last home basketball game against North Sanpete and update Dallin on Carter's first state playoff game.  I'm glad I waited because it was worth it.  

PVHS beat North Sanpete by 23 points last night at The Pit, enabling the Panthers to advance to the quarterfinals game against Uintah at the Maverick Center in Salt Lake City on Wednesday.  Pine View started slow and was down 8-0 before they made their first basket.  Carter had a great night and had a lot of playing time because one of the main starters was disciplined and suspended a game and two of our other starters found themselves in foul trouble early in the game.  Carter went 4-4 from the line and had a three pointer and a lay-up.  He was happy and we were thrilled for him.  It was fun to have Uncle Kirk there with us, as well as Grandma Susan, Raymond, and Tyler Johansen (He was a missionary in Minnesota when we lived there and we spent a lot of time with him in our home and teaching our favorite Minnesota family the Arteaga's.  He and his wife live here in St. George, and he is originally from North Sanpete so that made it even more fun).  

Dad and I spent all day Friday moving furniture, etc.. up to the adobe house. Grandma and Raymond came later in the day and helped out as well.  Amazingly, all of our bedroom furniture fit into our bedroom.  The rooms are quite a bit smaller but it is such a cute house.  Once we get it furnished I will post some pictures. We will spend today packing and moving as well.  We have to be all moved out by Wednesday.  We close on the house Wednesday, and then later that evening we will be heading up North for the big state tournament.  We are so excited!  

Aldste Milne sounds great.  Elder Olsen is being transferred and Dallin is welcoming Elder Christiansen.  Dallin says that they have a dinner appointment every night this week.  Wow!  Thank you dear members there in Kungsbacka for taking such good care of my precious son.  He touched on this week how difficult the work really is, especially in the richest city in the atheist capital of the world - Sweden.  Hang in there Dallin.  I know that is extra tough, but you are definitely the man for the job.  Keep your chin up, work hard and pray even harder.  I just know there are many people there that need you, whether they be members, missionaries, or the Lord's elect that are just waiting for you to find them.  Godspeed my friend.... You are awesome and we are all so proud of you!

Blaine's Letter to Dallin:

Hi Dallin
  
PV won the region championship.  Really exciting.  They haven't won it out right since 2002-2003 season,  they shared a region championship in 2006-2007 it said in the paper.
 
They had a neat senior night,  each senior had a bobble head picture that the student section held up on a stick.  Carter had several of these held up by his fellow classmates in the student section.  They cut down the nets after the game and each player cut down a piece of the net for their own momento.
Carter got to play about 7-8 minutes in the game.  He plays in the 1 and 2 quarter usually and maybe a little bit in the 3rd has been the normal playing time for him.
This has been difficult for him but I think he is just trying to do his best and of course is really enjoying being on a team like this.
 
 
I thought I would show you the state tournament bracket for your enjoyment.
 
*Ben Lomand
vs
Uintah/Park City
 
 
*Richfield
vs
Cedar City
 
 
*Pine View
vs
North Sanpete  
 
 
*Uintah/Park City
vs
Tooele
 
 
 
 
 
*Desert Hills
vs
Juab
 
 
*Juan Diego
vs
Grantsville
 
 
*Bear River
vs
Union/Morgan
 
 
*Payson
vs
Dixie
 
 
 
These are the first round playoff game pairing at  home sites.  Home team with the asterisk.  The winners will move on and play as I have listed the bracket.  Sorry I couldn't put in the right boxes but they advance as I have arranged them.  So if Pine View wins at home against North Sanpete, they will get the winner of the Toole vs Uintah/Park City winner in the first round of the State Tournament held at the E center in Salt Lake City on February 26,27,28.
 
I took work off so we all are going up on Wednesday evening after work.  Pine View has got themselves in a pretty good position as far as in the bracket.  The top bracket only has Pine View as one of the top ranked teams per the Desert News poll.
 
The bottom bracket has Desert Hills,  Juan Diego,  Bear River,  Dixie and Payson were all in the season top 5 rankings at some point in the season.  Pine View is ranked #1 in 3a but have only themselves as top ranked in the top bracket.  I can't believe how this has come together for themselves to get in the state championship game.  We will see how it goes.  
 
 
Hope you are having a great time over there.  Enjoy every minute of it because soon you will be home with us.  I am getting excited about moving out of this house and getting up to the old house and see what our future will bring.
 
Your mom didn't get into BYU which was very disappointing for her but may turn out just fine for all of us involved.  Natalie said this outcome would show the Lord's will for our family and so I have to believe we are supposed to stay here for a while anyway and get Ty graduated. 
 
Keep up the good work and get some work done over there.  See if you can't come up big for someone or family over there.  Why not?  Give yourself a chance and work hard.  Great Blessings are in store for you if you try.
 
Remember PVHS is the only way to be.  There will be a nice PV Panthera waiting for you when you get home. 
 
 
Your dad
 
Blaine Glen Milne

Dallin's Reply:

Hey Dad,

What an exciting time for Carter and the rest of the pine view basketball program.  That's amazing how the bracket worked out so great for pvhs the only way to be, being the only ranked team on their side.  What an awesome opportunity.

I'm sad for mom but also kind of happy knowing that I will come home to sunny St. George.  Does that mean that you will be staying with Half Dental?  I'm excited to hear how life in the old adobe is also haha.

Thanks for the encouraging words.  The work is tough but I am trying to forget the negative and just get to work.  "Why not?"  I really like that.

Love you old man

Dallin

My Letter to Dallin:

"All of us need to know God more fully in order to love Him more deeply and obey Him more completely."  Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

Dear Dallin,

How is it in Kungsbacka this week?  Well as you might have read from the blog it has been another eventful week on the homefront. I'm also sure you read the news that I wasn't accepted into BYU.  I was disappointed at first of course, but as the days have gone on I have learned so much about myself, and about how our Heavenly Father works.  It would be really easy to get discouraged at this juncture, but as I have prayed and listened to the Spirit through this disappointment He has taught me many things - mainly that our Heavenly Father loves us so very much, and He truly wants what is best for each one of us, but it usually isn't what we think is best.  As I watched Ty play ball this weekend and Carter gearing up for his upcoming state tournament I was reminded that my time as a mother is more precious to me than anything else in the world, and I do know that in the Lord's wisdom I would have found myself to be very unhappy in the face of sacrificing such precious time to further my seemingly selfish desires. Now don't get me wrong, I do believe that the Lord wants mothers to continue to develop their talents and to do what they can to be feel fulfilled, but it is so easy for us to get sidetracked.  I don't know what the Lord has in store for me at this point, and I do not feel that what I did to prepare for BYU was in vain.  I learned so much going through the entire process.  I loved the classes I have taken as part of my preparation and they have already had a big impact in my life.  I just needed to get that out of my system I guess - otherwise I would have always wondered what might have been.  

We had a really great day today.  After Sunday dinner dad and I went to visit Uncle Gary and he showed his ideas for the additions to the old adobe house.  It is going to be awesome.  He is going to Singapore on Tuesday night so he is getting excited about that.  He will be staying with some members of the church there and they are going to show him all the sights.  He has been communicating with them for the past five years.  He is so adventurous.  I told him he needs to someday write a book called "Gary's Travels" (kinda like Gulliver's Travels").  His posterity would love it, and he has so many neat and interesting stories from his world travels.  We then met Uncle Kirk at the dental office to re-cement a temporary bridge.  He was all dressed up in his Sunday suit headed to a fireside.  He looked so handsome.  He is so much fun.  He has been doing a lot of temple work (indexing) and is taking a Book of Mormon class that he loves.  When we arrived back home Carter and Ty were doing dishes and making cookies.  They are such great boys.

Can you believe how exciting PVHS basketball is right now?  Carter is elated!  We are looking forward to going up to Kearns and staying for the tournament.  It would be awesome to see PV win it all.  It will be a tough tourney though.  Carter has also been nominated for academic all-state which he should receive.  They will present those awards during half-time of the championship game.  Ty has been playing baseball this weekend in the president's day tournament.  Tomorrow he plays a team from Minnesota. Ty will be starting on the mound.  He did an excellent job on Friday catching as well.  He is excited to meet the team from Minnesota.  

Grandma Susan will be coming down for a few days this week to help me start packing.  I know you are sad that we are selling the house, but you will love what we are doing with the adobe and dad eventually wants to get a house on about an acre of land with a few horses and a swimming pool.  I think that is a great idea. Not much else going on other than PVHS plays North Sanpete on Friday for the first round of the tournament.  Hopefully there won't be any surprises, and hopefully Carter can get some more playing time.  

How's the work going?  Did Elder Olsen get transferred?  I liked your pizza creation picture from last week.  Maybe you can convince Aunt Kim to start marketing those at the pizza factory.  What are they called?  Kebab pizza?  It would be interesting to see how it would be received here in America.  Is the weather still real cold?  I was selling Otter Pops at the concessions on Saturday during the baseball tournament.  It is beautiful and warm right now, but a little scary.  We are in a very bad drought with no hope of moisture in sight.  The desert is so unpredictable.  Back east they have been having record snow storms all winter and out west it has been record drought and record warm temperatures.  Crazy weather!

Well Big "D", stay healthy and positive.  Good-luck at the doctor this week.  I will keep praying for you.  I have pretty bad hyperglycemia which is knocking on the door of type II diabetes so taking care of your kidneys is paramount - it does run in our family.  Drink lots of water and monitor your sugar and carbohydrate intake.  Eat extra protein, fiber, and vegetables.  How's your acne been?  Do you need a refill on the prescription I sent you awhile ago?  Let me know what you need.  Take care of yourself!

All My Love,

Mom

Hey everyone,

Well here we are again, another monday.  My week went by really fast and it seems like your guy's week was packed full of excitement haha.  First off, I'm sorry that things didn't work out with byu mom.  I know how much you wanted that but I am glad that you are seeing God's hand in it and that you are trusting in His plan for our family.  You are right that a lot of times things don't work out the way that we think they should but like you know the Lord's ways are higher than ours and He sees the big picture from beginning to end.  Because of that truth it is important that we trust in the Lord with all of our heart and lean not to our own understanding.  Something that is hard but I'm learning that on my mission.  I'm excited to hear about how the moving goes into the adobe and about the renovations that you guys will do.  Be sure to send pictures of it!  So where abouts do you guys think you'll move to? Somewhere in the fields? Green springs maybe?  Let me know about everything!  

That's so cool about pv basketball.  Region champs wow.  That must have been the coolest feeling for Carter to get to cut down the net with his team.  What a memory.  And I can't believe how well the bracket came together for pine view, being the only ranked team on their side.  Wow how exciting with such a great opportunity to get to play in the state championship game!  And that's awesome that he will be honored with the academic all-state, what a great accomplishment.  And sounds like Ty is having fun getting into baseball already.  I want to hear about how he did on the mound for sure next week.  Good luck Ty!  Weather sounds nice over there too, it is still pretty cold and windy here but the days are getting longer and February is going fast.  I can't wait for spring.  Sweden is so beautiful during the spring and summer.  I was thinking that maybe it would be a better idea to visit Sweden for you guys during the summer when you can enjoy the weather instead of late october/early november when my 2 years is over.


I had a good last week with Olsen.  He will be transferring to Norrköping on Wednesday and I will be getting Elder Christensen here in Kungsbacka.  Elder Christensen is older than me, but I don't know much else about him.  I'm happy to be staying in Kungsbacka.  Like I said before I have loved getting to know and serving the active and less active members here.  Such good people, and they take good care of us missionaries.  We have a member meal lined up for everyday this week which I think is a first for me.  It's not easy serving in the richest city in the atheist capital of the world, Sweden.  But we do what we can.  A lot of tough times and hardships but with that a lot of learning and experience.  I'm so grateful for my mission.  I've been talking lately with some missionary friends who are getting ready to leave.  Crazy to see how fast the time has gone.  The mission is so different now, I feel like I don't know anybody haha.  I'm excited to see what the Lord has in mind for me though these last 9 months.  I'll let you know what happens with the doctors.  Take care everyone!


Love,
Dallin 

This Week's Photos:


Another Beautiful Church in the Atheist Capital of the World - Sweden


Catching  Some  Much Needed Zzzz's on the Train


Fried Chicken, Fried Onion Rings, and French Fries...  Oh My!
(That's a lot of grease Elders!)

Basketball photos to come.  My phone is being repaired so I have been without it for a few days.  I have to have Carter and Ty email me the photos they took....  Check back later today.



No comments:

Post a Comment