Sweden Here I Come!

Sweden Here I Come!

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Charity Never Faileth

It is always wonderful to read letters from the mission field!  I love to see the growth in my son's testimony and witness his maturity!  Way to go Dallin - We sure love you!  It sounds like he is enjoying his time with Elder Silvennoinen there in Stockholm.  It reminds me of when I served a mission in Oklahoma.  I was in Norman, OK and had been in some tough companionships for the most part of my mission - mostly threesomes. I then was blessed to have Mary Barnett as my companion. We clicked instantly and for two months we worked extra hard and had a fabulous time!  Just today I spoke about my time with Sister Barnett during a Relief Society lesson that I taught. She and I were teaching a student who was attending the University of Oklahoma.  She was roommates with a church member and was excited to learn more about the restoration of the gospel.  Her name was Tina.  She was always very polite and attentive during our discussions, but there seemed to be something lacking.  I didn't feel she was truly grasping what we were teaching about the restoration of Christ's Church and the fullness of His Gospel. I didn't feel that she was being converted even though she expressed agreement with the things that we were teaching.  

On one particular Sunday Sister Barnett and I had been asked to speak in Sacrament Meeting. We determined that we would fast as we prepared our talks and we also fasted that Tina would receive an answer to her prayers in regards to the truthfulness of what we were teaching her and of the Book of Mormon that she was reading.  We wanted to know what more we could do to bring the Spirit into our discussions, so that her heart would be touched and she would know for a surety that what we were teaching her was true.  We wanted her to have her own testimony of this gospel - not that of her roommates or even the missionaries'. We fasted the full 24 hours and even beyond that, and the Lord certainly blessed us.  As we sat up on the stand in the chapel waiting for the meeting to begin, we saw Tina enter and to our amazement she was glowing from head to toe - she was beautiful.  I could not believe the visible change that had come over her.  Sister Barnett and I looked at each other and knew that she had received her answer.  We could hardly stand it that we had to wait the entire meeting before we could go and talk to her.  After the meeting she confirmed that she indeed had received her answer and that she was ready to be baptized.  Our hearts rejoiced!  She was baptized soon after that, and Sister Barnett was transferred shortly after that as well.  I will forever be grateful for that special time during my mission. Enjoy your time with Elder Silv Dallin. It will end all too soon!  

This Week's Letter From Home:

"....Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God.

But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God." - Alma 17:2, 3.

I was reading this chapter last night before I went to be and these two verses reminded me of you and Elder Silvennionen.  Enjoy your time together!

Dear Dallin

I pray this finds you happy and well....  Did the package I sent ever show up?  How are you doing this week?  I am excited to hear about all your adventures there in Stockholm.  This week for us has been crazy, interesting, hectic, but a lot of fun.  I have been able to spend a lot more time writing so the book is finally progressing quicker.  We also had some fun going to Ty's baseball tournament up North.  We stayed in a beautiful cabin in the mountains above Heber. It was so nice to get out of this insane heat!  Ty's team did really well.  They went 3-1 during pool play, with their only loss being 1-0 against American Fork.  They made it to bracket play on Saturday, but we lost our first game to a team from Idaho.   Their boys were large and quite good, we however, did not play our best ball.  We made more errors in that one game than we did in the other four games combined.  I really think the kids were intimidated by this other team, but they really should not have been.  Ty did not get to play much - 2 innings the whole tournament.  He is having some issues with his hamstring in his right leg.  We will have to get that healed. 

While we were away, Carter played two games up in Beaver with his legion team.  It was a double header with the Price legion team. They were originally supposed to play it in St. George, but they decided it would be much cooler in Beaver. Grandma and Raymond were able to go and support Carter while we were away.  Carter played left field in the first game and then he pitched the second game.  His team won both games, and he got the win on the mound 7-2 in the second game. He even drove in the tying run in the first game. He is really enjoying his time with the legion team and is having some great success. 3-0 on the mound is not bad at all.  This week he will leave on Tuesday and head to Boulder, CO for a week long tournament. He is excited for this. Ty's team has the week off due to a high school moratorium.  That will be good for Ty to have a chance to heal.

On Thursday and Friday Ty and I will be heading back up North to hang out with some of the family.  We will hit Seven Peaks on Thursday and Lagoon on Friday.  We are going to take Davee and Klowee with us and we will meet Tyson and his kids there as well as Grandma and Raymond.  That should be fun

Today we had a wonderful Sabbath Day. We all fasted and really enjoyed our meetings.  Ty and Carter taught our FHE lesson tonight on Sabbath Day observance and the blessings that come from keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. We then enjoyed some hot apple pie and ice cream.  

It was sad to lose another apostle this week - President Packer.  He was an amazing man.  I will forever admire his knowledge of the gospel and all that he has contributed over the  many years of his service.  He was indeed a defender and preserver of the doctrines that have been restored.  He knew his Savior intimately and dedicated his entire life to His service.  He will be missed!

Tomorrow I am taking Carter to Cedar City to help him look for housing.  He is getting excited to head up there for a semester of school.  I am also helping him get an application together for an American Legion Baseball Scholarship.  He is still having a hard time realizing that high school is over with and that he is moving on to the next phase of his life.  I can hardly bare the thought of him going off to college - where have the years gone?

Dallin, I hope that you are enjoying your mission and recognizing the many blessings the Lord has given you.  Cherish these remaining days.  The Lord still has much for you to accomplish - He expects great things from you and will bless you with the gifts you need to accomplish His work.  I am so proud of you. Dad really liked last weeks letter where you talked about having a vision of what you want to accomplish.  This is so true!  Keep focused and continue to set goals each day.  Your mission will be over before you know it and you can never get those days back.  Make the most of it!

Please let me know if there is anything you need. Take care of yourself and please be safe. I'm sure Stockholm is a bit riskier as a missionary than the smaller places you have been.  Be mindful of your surroundings at all times. Stay close to the Spirit and heed His warnings.  Love and miss you so much!

All My Love,

Mom

Dallin's Letter Home this Week:

hej på er!,

Sounds like you guys had quite the busy week.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  I got your package in the mail this week.  Thanks for taking the time to put that together.  I'm really liking the book so far as well, I didn't get too much time to get into it this week but what I have read has been interesting.  That's too bad about Ty and his hamy.  Make sure he takes it easy when you guys go up north and run arouond seven peaks.  No reason to go too far with it over some summer ball games and water parks when he still has all of high school ahead of him.  That's cool about Carter though getting a job done on the mound and having a good time.  

It's been an interesting week with Elder Silv.  We've had some really deep study sessions and conversations and come to some interesting conclusions.  I'll probably bring it up with you when I get home mom.  My passion of studying the scriptures and doctrine has been rekindled with silv and I have been enjoying the guidance of the Spirit in my studies and personal progression.  I'm looking forward to continuing to studying the mysteries of God throughout my life (1 Nephi 10:19, Alma 12:10).  One thing that I really want to take advantage of these last months is all the time to study.  I remember that you told me to do that before I left.  But yeah the work is different here like I said last week.  Right now we are trying to build up our teaching pool so its been a lot of contacting and some knocking.  We are going to start making more contact with the members as well.  Speaking of members I am really liking the ward here so far.  Yesterday we were invited over to a barbecue at a members and he also invited everyone who lives in his apartment building.  Apparently they have a tradition that every Sunday they take turns making a big meal and inviting everyone on their floor.  I thought that was really cool.  So yeah we got to meet all of his non member neighbors and most of them were girls from Finland so elder silv had a good time talking Finnish with all of them haha.

But yeah we are doing our best over here to follow the spirit and to fear nothing.  I told you last week about the vision or goals that I've been making for my life and for studies this week I looked for scriptures pertaining to each goal in the vision and decided that I wanted to try to memorize them all haha.  This week I memorized 1 Corinthians 13.

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
 13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Good thing to keep in mind.  I love you all more than anything else in the world.

-Dallin

So I took some pictures this week but then forgot the phone chord today :( sorry I might have a chance to send them later in the week.

Dallin never did send us pictures for the week, but here our some from our week:


Lagoon's newest ride - "The Cannibal"!  It was awesome!


You get in the car down below and take an elevator to the top. You creep slowly out of the elevator and then stop and pause so you can stare out over the Salt Lake Valley and even the Great Salt Lake. The views were amazing, but at this point you are talking yourself out of hyper ventilating.


Down you go.... notice how it curves under - you are basically upside down at that point.  I determined that it was the most fun ride I have ever been on, but it was also torture to anticipate how scary it was going to be! We all survived. Even seven year old Collin went on it with us and was so excited about it when it was over that he wanted to go again, but we didn't want to wait in line another hour.


This is what the kids did as we were waiting in line for the "Cannibal" ride!  The cute snake was won by Tyson.


Ty found (won) Nemo and eventually gave him up to his cousins.


This ride is called Wicked.  It too was scary, but oh so fun.  To start the ride you are immediately shot straight up so fast that you don't even have time to be afraid of the fact that as soon as you get over that first hill you will be going straight down at a very high speed!


Family fun at Lagoon! Tyson, Collin, Ty, and Mackenzie


This week Carter played baseball in Boulder, Colorado. He has been getting some time in left field when he is not pitching.


Here is a picture of Carter pitching up at Beaver High School. The Sentinels played two games up there last week against Price.  Carter won on the mound 7-2. He did awesome! 


This is Carter's Sentinel team after winning the Logan Tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment