Sweden Here I Come!

Sweden Here I Come!

Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Long Awaited First Email!

We were unsure as to when we would actually hear from Elder Milne, but finally on Tuesday we received emails from him.  What a relief it was to hear how happy he was, how well he was doing, and that he loved the MTC.  Here is a portion of his letter:

Ha I'm not exactly sure where to start. So far, I've really enjoyed my time here at the MTC.  My assigned companion's name is Elder Silvennoinen.  He's from Finland.  And we are pretty much opposites of each other haha.  He is very quiet and his English is not that great.  He said his favorite things to do are reading and listening to orchestra music, doesn't play any sports.  At first I was really worried about how we would be able to get a long but each day we become better friends and he's starting to talk a lot more.  I haven't taken any pictures with him yet but I'll be sure to send you some soon.  Oh and I don't know if you remember but there was a kid on our Orem 6th grade football team named Jorgen Rassmussen.  He was the center for the first game against Juan Diego but ended up breaking his arm and didn't play the rest of the season.  He is in my district going to Sweden too.  I feel bad because he came right up to me and was like "Dallin! Remember me? We played football together in 6th grade!" and I didn't recognize him at all but he sure remembered me.  He's a nice kid, he played for Orem basketball but I think he just sat on the bench.  
Anyways to answer your questions..
We get up every morning at 6:30 and either go to gym or do personal study in the classroom depending on the day at about 7.  Breakfast is usually around 8, and they do a good job of mixing up the menu everyday and the food is pretty good, I'm eating a lot.  After breakfast we have 3 hours of class instruction about how to teach and some Swedish practice.  Most of the time though you learn on your own.  There is a lot of time set aside for personal study and companion study.  The language is coming along okay.  I can tell that a big thing for me here is going to be learning how to be patient.  But I can already say a prayer in Swedish and bear a simple testimony.  Its cool how much faster you learn the language with learning how to teach the gospel with it, if that makes any sense.  Me and my companion have already taught 3 lessons to a fake investigator all in Swedish.  Obviously they haven't been very good, most of the time i just read from a script that I put together but I'm getting better at speaking without the book.  Anyways after class we have lunch around 1:30 then another 3 hour class session which is usually when we teach our lessons.  Then dinner around 6 then its back to the classroom for language study and more personal time.  We get back to our dorms at 9:30 and lights out at 10:30.  We spend most of our day in the same classroom but we are always busy.
There are 12 elders in my district.  I like them all, everyone gets along real well.  
Good to hear that we will be staying in St George and I'll be sure to read my P blessing often.
But yeah all is well, don't worry about me I'm really having a good time.
Love,
Elder Milne  

No comments:

Post a Comment